Research Data Center & Data Access
The SHARE data are distributed through our Research Data Center which is physically located at CentERdata on the Tilburg University campus in the Netherlands. The SHARE Research Data Center complies with the Criteria of the German Council for Social and Economic Data for providing access to microdata.
SHARE Data Access Rules
The SHARE data can be downloaded from the SHARE Research Data Center under the following conditions:
- Applicants must have a scientific affiliation and have to sign a statement confirming that under no circumstances the data will be used for other than purely scientific purposes.
- Data will only be made available after these documents have been received, by mail or fax (care of Josette Janssen; address: CentERdata, Tilburg University, P.O. Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands; e-mail: jjanssenuvt.nl; fax: +31 13 4662764). The required forms can be downloaded here. Upon request a copy by fax can be sent. Upon receipt of the signed statements users will receive a username and password enabling them to download the data. Registration is free of charge. Registered users are allowed to use data of the SHARE project as long as the scientific affiliation indicated in the user statement is valid. The original login code and password persist for all subsequent releases of the data. A new statement has to be filled, however, when any of the specifications given in the statement (incl. e-mail address) change. If users forgot their password, they should go to http://link.centerdata.nl/sharedata. A password can however only be resent if the e-mail address typed in is the same as used when applying for the data. Additionally, the data are available via the GESIS Data Archive for the Social Sciences.
- Data users are not allowed to make copies of the data available to others and/or enable any third party access to the database. Anyone wanting to use the data must contact CentERdata directly to request a copy of the data free of charge. Access to the SHARE data will only be granted on an individual basis. Each person working on a scientific project and/or publication using SHARE data has to fill out and sign the statement concerning the use of SHARE data individually.
- Users are requested to provide references to all papers based on the SHARE data to the SHARE coordination team. Whenever a paper is being written using SHARE data, an acknowledgement containing the following information has to be included:
"This paper uses data from SHARE Waves 1, 2, 3 (SHARELIFE), 4 and 5 (DOIs: 10.6103/SHARE.w1.260, 10.6103/SHARE.w2.260, 10.6103/SHARE.w3.100, 10.6103/SHARE.w4.111, 10.6103/SHARE.w5.100), see Börsch-Supan et al. (2013) for methodological details.*
The SHARE data collection has been primarily funded by the European Commission through FP5 (QLK6-CT-2001-00360), FP6 (SHARE-I3: RII-CT-2006-062193, COMPARE: CIT5-CT-2005-028857, SHARELIFE: CIT4-CT-2006-028812) and FP7 (SHARE-PREP: N°211909, SHARE-LEAP: N°227822, SHARE M4: N°261982). Additional funding from the German Ministry of Education and Research, the U.S. National Institute on Aging (U01_AG09740-13S2, P01_AG005842, P01_AG08291, P30_AG12815, R21_AG025169, Y1-AG-4553-01, IAG_BSR06-11, OGHA_04-064) and from various national funding sources is gratefully acknowledged (see www.share-project.org)."
- Users are also requested to cite the datasets and include the basic literature on SHARE research and methodology in the bibliography corresponding to the dataset they used in the paper: Wave 1, Wave 2, Wave 3 (SHARELIFE), Wave 4, Wave 5.
- Registered users of the data will be included in the list of users of the SHARE project. By signing the user statement users agree to be informed about updates of data via e-mail.
- In case of doubt whether or not the data have been used for purely scientific research, the Coordinator of SHARE will decide whether the password will be removed and legal action will be taken.
* Usually this information will be part of the text of a scientific publication already. If this is the case, there is no need to include this information in the acknowledgement once more.